Arapahoe County Facility Utility Worker in Aurora, Colorado
The Facility Utility Worker performs a variety of skilled and unskilled manual labor duties associated with the building and grounds cleaning and maintenance, receiving and inventory of materials for County grounds, buildings and user departments.
- This position will primarily be located at the Arapahoe County Justice Center, located at 7325 South Potomac Street, Centennial, CO, 80112.
- Primary working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- This position has been re-opened. If you previously applied, your application is on file and you will not need to re-apply.
- This position is posted as "continuous until filled" and may close at any time. Duties
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
- Assists Facility Maintenance Technicians with basic maintenance and repair of county buildings and property.
- Maintains offices, restrooms, food service area, water fountains, floors, glass, mirrors, and walls in order to make all buildings presentable and in compliance with industry standards.
- Takes all refuse from designated receptacles and disposes of properly.
- Prepares rooms for conferences and meetings, including moving furniture and equipment.
- Assists with quarterly and year-end material inventory, inventory and tracking of small tools.
- Maintains grounds by performing duties which include mowing, planting, watering and power washing.
- Sweeps sidewalks and removes snow on sidewalk entrances to buildings using hand tools or maintenance vehicle with snow plow. Removes snow from parking lots and other public thoroughfares; spreads salt or sand onto driving or walking surfaces.
- On call work is required on rotating basis as well as during winter storm duty and other emergency conditions. This position is a County essential employee for snow storms.
- Escorts visiting contractors through facilities as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively communicate in English language, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor as required for extended periods of time, under adverse working conditions.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees and the general public.
- Ability to use hand and power tools in a safe manner.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and practices.
- Service First
- Excellent Quality
- Responsive Government
- Visionary Thinking
- Caring Leadership
- Effective Communication
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Respect for Others
- Teamwork Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- One (1) or more years of experience in general building and grounds maintenance.
Any equivalent combination of education and work experience that satisfy the requirements of the job may be considered.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of a valid Class “R” Colorado Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within two weeks of appointment.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment physical, drug screen, background and motor vehicle check.
- Will also require post-hire fingerprinting, a CBI background check and successfully completing bi-annual Colorado Justice Information System training.
- Position is deemed essential and incumbents must be available for winter storm or other emergency events and available to work on an on-call rotational basis which requires evening, holidays and weekends.
- Work locations and facilities are subject to change based on business need. Supplemental Information
- Work is performed both indoors and outdoors with exposure to hot and cold outside temperatures, dust, grease, chemicals, fumes, etc.
- Hazards present in this position are inherent in occupational areas including some HVAC, electrical, plumbing and carpentry.
- Primary work environment is in extremely high security facilities in which there is occasional physical safety concerns (detention facility) and frequent exposure to highly emotional inmates, citizens or justice system participants.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Spends 20% the time sitting and 80% of the time either standing or walking.
- Frequently lifts, carries, pushes or pulls up to 80 lbs. Uses cart, dolly or other equipment to carry in excess of 80 lbs.
- May be required to lift heavy and awkward objects, up to 50 lbs, from ground level to waist level or higher, either on solid ground, or while balancing (ex. On a ladder).
- Frequently climbs, balances, stoops, kneels, crouches, crawls, reaches and handles while performing duties in cramped and unconventional work areas.
- Oral and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication.
- Auditory capacity to endure long-term exposure to loud noises.
- Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of tools, equipment and machinery.
- Visual capacity enabling constant operations and safe use of equipment and vehicles.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle in order to travel between assigned buildings.
- Position will have exposure to sometimes hazardous conditions while working on projects at the Arapahoe County Detention Facility (jail), and frequently to opportunities for exposure to blood and air borne pathogens, extreme heat/cold, use of power equipment and machinery, climbing, crawling, stooping, and loud noises. Protective Personal Equipment provided in all situations.
Definitions: Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time. Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time. Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.
*Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: *If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (i.e. uploading or attaching documents to your online application), call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627. Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application, first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt uploading (attaching) it.
Salary: $16.17 - $25.05 Hourly
Location: Centennial 80112, CO
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Facilities and Fleet Management
Job Number: 04055
Agency: Arapahoe County
Address: 5334 S. Prince Street Littleton, Colorado, 80120
Phone: (303) 795-4482