Arapahoe County Road Maintenance Technician I - Eastern Service Center in Aurora, Colorado
*This posting has been re-opened. If you have already applied, your application is on file and you do not need to re-apply.*
The Arapahoe County Road and Bridge Division is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team. You'll get the best training in the business and the support of an awesome team. The ideal candidate should possess the desire to work hard every day towards a team goal and enjoy performance based annual salary increases.
This job offers opportunities to work for a high performing organization that strives for excellence every day, in which employees are encouraged to grow professionally through personal development and increased responsibility.
Benefits of working for Arapahoe County Road and Bridge:
- Annual salary increases based on hard work and attitude
- Promotions based on hard work and attitude
- Goal oriented workload
- Excellent balance between hard work and time off provided each year
- 15 - 8hr paid vacation days
- 12 – 8hr paid holidays
- 1 – 8hr paid personal holiday
- 12 – 8hr paid sick days
- 3 day weekends! 4 - 10hr work days are routine unless weather or other circumstances arise
- Typical non flexible work hours are 7AM to 5PM Monday through Thursday
- Insurance – please see benefits tab
- retirement – work at a career rather than another job
- Uniforms and laundry service provided
- All PPE provided including steel toe boots.
The primary duties of this position is to work directly with the asphalt paving and patching crew and to assist in a variety of asphalt repairs and to assist with snow removal during the winter months. This position requires a person who has the ability to work evenings, holidays, weekends and on-call for snow or other emergency events.
Our anticipated hiring range based on final qualifications of candidate, $19.50 - $21 hourly.
Check out this video showing a typical summer working day with your future asphalt patching team: https://youtu.be/6G_dt1X4MFU Duties
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this position at any time.
- Primary duties include labor type work with the asphalt patching and paving program using a variety of hand tools such as shovels, picks, rakes, power saws, and jack hammers. Performs preparation and patching of damaged roadway areas with asphalt including shoveling, raking and tamping of the asphalt. Assists with traffic control set up and removal at the start and end of each shift and performs the duties of a flagger during traffic control situations such as controlling traffic at work site by flagging and/or placing barricades.
- Works on an on-call basis for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions at all hours of the day or night. Removes snow from streets and other public thoroughfares; loads deicing material into trucks and spreads deicing material onto the roadway with tandem axle truck. Shift work for snowstorms may require 16 hour shifts or longer based on the severity of the storm.
- Trains on small equipment such as patch truck, patch roller, forklift, tandem axle dump truck with snow plow, and skid steer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please note the typical hours of this position are 7:00 am to 5:00 pm Four days a week.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge to properly and safely operate and maintain assigned light equipment and hand tools.
- Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and practices.
- Ability to perform strenuous manual labor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to receive and attend on-the-job training.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees, and the general public.
- Ability to receive and attend on-the-job training on equipment operations with the necessary driver's licensing and endorsements. Requirements
- High school graduation or GED equivalent is required.
- One (1) year of experience in general construction, road maintenance work, truck driving, or manual labor is required. An equivalent combination of education and experience that satisfy the requirements of the job may be considered.
- Pre-employment testing includes an acceptable current motor vehicle check, background check, physical capabilities examination, and a drug screen.
- Possession of a valid class "R" driver's license at the time of hire.
- Ability to obtain a CDL Class "B" driver's license with tanker endorsement within 6 months of hire. Possession of a valid Colorado CDL Class "B" driver's license at time of hire is preferred.
- Ability to obtain flagger certification within 10 days of appointment. Flagger training is provided.
- Position requires exposure to all weather conditions, high noise levels, dust, fumes and other road traffic conditions.
- Work is performed primarily outdoors often in extreme weather conditions and rough terrain.
- Work will be required for winter storm duty and other emergency conditions on an on-call basis or during evenings, weekends, on-call, or irregular hours.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Heavy manual labor in and out of doors is typical with this position including the regular use of a variety of equipment and hand tools as noted above.
- Spends 20% of the time sitting and 80% of the time either standing or walking.
- Frequently lifts, carries, pulls or pushes up to 80 lbs.
- Uses cart dolly, or other equipment to carry in excess of 80 lbs.
- Occasionally lifts and operates a 90-pound jack hammer.
- Frequently stoops, kneels, balances reaches, crawls and crouches while performing work duties in both an outdoor and indoor setting.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling interpersonal communication through automated devices, such as telephones, radios, etc.
- Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of machinery, equipment, and tools in a field setting.
- Visual capacity enabling constant operations and safe use of equipment and vehicles.
Definitions: Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time. Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time. Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.
*Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: *If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (i.e. uploading or attaching documents to your online application), call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627. Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application, first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt uploading (attaching) it.
Salary: $19.50 - $22.24 Hourly
Location: 80102, CO
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Public Works and Development
Job Number: 03822
Closing: 11/13/2020 12:00 AM Mountain
Agency: Arapahoe County
Address: 5334 S. Prince Street Littleton, Colorado, 80120
Phone: (303) 795-4482