Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Senior Engineer - Spacecraft New Business Lead (665820) in Boulder, Colorado
Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Senior Engineer, Spacecraft New Business Lead
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer who can lead a spacecraft team during the capture phase for a variety of NASA pursuits within our Civil Space area. This position will have responsibility for the overall spacecraft design and architecture.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and manage the spacecraft business technical baseline – develop solutions that meet our customer needs and requirements.
- Work with subsystem leads, providing direction and prioritization of tasks and reviewing their design analysis – detail-oriented coach.
- Support preparation and presentation of major design and readiness reviews - convey to our customers that our craft will do what they need.
- Responsible for generating engineering documents including specifications, environmental design requirements, support to subsystem procurement specifications and statements of work, and test plan development – own the technical baseline.
- Communicate spacecraft status and risk posture to the program leadership team.
- Lead and guide spacecraft bus vehicle level trades and analysis – balance technical performance, cost and risk.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience (I&T;, Mission Operations, Fault Management, or Subsystem expertise).
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proven success as a technical team lead or deputy (four years required) with experience in most phases of execution of a space hardware program.
- Working knowledge of most spacecraft subsystems sufficient to lead requirements allocation, design trades and performance assessment.
- Architect/Design to cost, and new business experience is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to meet objectives.
- Experience in multidisciplinary team work environment with small team leadership responsibilities.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity in a highly collaborative environment.
- Good verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Working/indirect knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) is highly desirable.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP OR PERMANENT RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Title: Senior Engineer - Spacecraft New Business Lead (665820)
Job ID: 665820
Location: CO - Boulder
Full/Part Time: Full-Time