City of Colorado Springs Utility Locator I in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Description / Position Overview
*Utility Locator I *
In this position you will identify, locate, and mark the location of all owned underground facilities, including irrigation water, stormwater, fiber, traffic signals and communications installations. Park properties, trail corridors, assigned medians, SIMD (Special Improvement Maintenance District) areas, golf courses, cemeteries, and assigned public rights-of-ways are included. You will mark facilities alerting excavators of buried subsurface utilities to facilitate safe excavation during construction activities and minimize accidental damage and disruption of service.
Learn why people love to live, work and play in Colorado Springs:
(This information may change annually).
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Complete daily locate requests to facilitate safe excavation during construction activities
- Respond to customer complaints on a daily basis; interact with contractors, coworkers, the public and outside agencies; coordinate the location of utilities
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations at all times
- Maintain and update records; read and interpret maps and construction drawings; accurately mark utility lines on a daily basis
- Create charts and drawings to display various utility lines using GIS (geographic information system) or other specialized computer software on a daily basis
Submit map updates as necessary We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
Knowledge of GIS software
- Knowledge of locate techniques
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Ability to attend trainings to advance skill level
- Ability to read charts, drawings, and maps
- Ability to safely operate assigned equipment and vehicle
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing Successful candidate will have
A high school diploma or GED
- One year of full-time maintenance or utility locating experience
Possess, or obtain upon hire, and maintain a valid, non-probationary Colorado driver’s license not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges Ideal candidates will also have
Possess utility locate certifications obtained through accredited technical programs Additional Information
Physical Demands:This position requires the ability to lift up to 75 pounds occasionally.
Environmental Conditions Primary Work Environment - Outdoors with possible exposure to extreme weather conditions Extreme Temperature - Seasonally Wetness and Humidity - Seasonally Respiratory Hazards - Several times per month Noise and Vibrations - Daily Physical Hazards - Daily Mechanical and/or Electrical Hazards - Frequently Exposure to Communicable Diseases - Never
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position. The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions can be found on the website.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: $3,663.50 - $4,398.00 Monthly
Location: Public Works - City of Colorado Springs, CO
Job Type: Special
Division (Level 4): Public Works
Job Number: 13757
Closing: 9/25/2020 4:00 PM Mountain
Agency: City of Colorado Springs
Address: 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 301 Colorado Springs, Colorado, 80903
Phone: 719-385-5171 719-385-5171