University of Denver Desktop Support Specialist - Information Technology in Denver, Colorado
Information Technology (IT) is the unified IT organization that supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University by providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DU’s Impact 2025, the division aligns IT resources with University and unit strategic goals and operational plans, providing service in the spirit of “One DU”.
The Support Specialist, under the direction of the Assistant Director of Digital Media Services & IT Field Support, within the IT Campus Partnerships department, provides technology support for the University of Denver's faculty, staff, and students, including computer hardware and software for Windows and Macintosh computers; virtual machines; Active Directory account management; printing solutions; Exchange account management; and other technology support for the University Community, as well as maintaining university owned computers.
- Gathers, analyzes, interprets and presents information technology and business information for operational purposes.
- Optimizes the performance of various computer systems.
- Performs information technology support activities including networking, printing administration, and workstation/client support.
- Service may be provided via phone, online, in person at the Help Center, as well as in the field.
- Testing and documentation of applications and their compatibility with university systems
- Provides client consultation to determine how to apply technical resources to solve the business need.
- The Support Specialist works closely with all members of the IT Campus Partnerships area, other IT departmental staff, and numerous clients to solve tasks and incidents.
- Participates as a fully invested member of the IT Campus Partnerships department and Information Technology division. Works collaboratively to resolve issues and provides a positive experience for the University community. Researches and contributes ideas for improvement.
- Diagnoses and resolves reported difficulties and/or escalates to appropriate specialists within ITSM system.
- Responds to computer hardware failures, malware and virus threats, software troubleshooting requests, networking issues, system upgrade requests, file permission requests, new software deployments, and other issues as assigned.
- Installs, configures and performs routine maintenance on systems hardware and software including Windows and Mac operating systems with appropriate certifications.
- May manage projects of limited scope or portions of large/complex projects and may provide guidance to technical staff on a project basis.
- Documents procedures addressing frequently occurring issues for clients. Identifies software upgrades and patches including but not limited to browsers, operating systems, and tests for compatibility with University of Denver enterprise and other applications.
- Audits equipment, including an inventory and review of workstations with serial numbers, warranty info, and location information.
- As appropriate, performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to gather and organize information for the purpose of identifying needs and possible solutions.
- Skill in providing information technology related customer service to users having varying levels of technical expertise.
- Ability to troubleshoot mobile devices, including iOS, Android, and Windows Phone operating systems and applications.
- Must be able to manage projects, work independently, and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language are required.
- Associate's degree or equivalent education in related field.
- 1-2 years of information technology experience in workstation/client support.
- Must be able to competently and professionally troubleshoot Windows and Macintosh computers, network issues, and mobile devices in a variety of business settings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or related field.
- Any of the following certifications: Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) certification, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) certification, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certification, Dell desktop and laptop hardware repair certifications.
- 2 – 3 years of progressive information technology experience in workstation/client support.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, Microsoft Exchange, LDAP authentication, and VMWare VM/VDI deployments.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. May require working irregular hours including both weekends and evenings.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
Tracking Code: 002957
Department: UTS-Customer Service (401200)
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular