Gilbane Environmental Remediation Intern 2 -- hydrology/hydrogeology 2021 in Englewood, Colorado
The Environmental Remediation Intern 2 -- Hydrology/Hydrogeology (Construction Intern 2) is responsible for assisting Project Staff on various environmental investigation and remediation projects. For Gilbane's Environmental Business Unit, the intern will learn about, and assist in, the planning of various field data collection efforts, implementing scientific data assessments, and engineering evaluations. The work will be conducted on environmental remediation and hazardous waste management projects in accordance with Company standards, regulatory criteria, and contractual obligations.
The internship can be based in our Englewood, CO (Denver); Phoenix, AZ; or Concord, CA office
Interns learn Gilbane’s environmental remediation methods and practices through work assignments on job sites and in-office, data assessment teams. Responsibilities include:
• Assist in sample collection from various media (soil, water, air, sediment, soil vapor, etc.) activities in accordance with plan requirements and Gilbane Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
• Assist in evaluating data generated by field activities to provide basic interpretations of hydrogeology, groundwater flow conditions, contaminant fate and transport, and the nature and extent of contamination for inclusion in reports or presentations
• Support compilation of hydrogeological and water quality data; and interpret site hydrogeologic characteristics and hydraulic conditions to support development of site conceptual models
• Support preparation of potentiometric surface and isoconcentration contour maps from water level and water quality data; prepares hydrogeological cross-sections using hydrogeology information
• Support site remedial action activities including in-situ and ex-situ groundwater treatment, etc.
• Assist in the procurement, mobilization, calibration, and use of field equipment
• Participate in and perform daily safety tailgate meetings and weekly safety inspections
• Support the completion of related documentation (field reports/daily reports, sampling logs, chain of custody records, meeting minutes, online submittals, etc.), in a timely and accurate manner.
Currently enrolled in Hydrogeology, Hydrology, Geosystems Engineering, Civil or Environment Engineering with focus on hydraulics
Prior exposure to environmental industry is a plus
Prior exposure/experience with groundwater field studies (slug test, pumping test) is a plus
Understanding of vadose zone moisture and saturated zone groundwater flow and contaminant fate and transport and/or use of analytical or numeric models is a plus.
HAZWOPER 40 Hour Certification very helpful
Or equivalent combination of education and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Interest in/aptitude for hydrogeologic characterization, assessment of contaminant fate and transport assessment and remedial system design.
Strong communication skills and an ability to work in teams
Ability and willingness to travel to field sites for short periods of time as required
Proficient in Microsoft Office
Gilbane offers an excellent total compensation package which includes competitive health and welfare benefits and a generous profit-sharing/401k plan. We invest in our employees’ education and have built Gilbane University into a top training organization in the construction industry. Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test. Gilbane is not accepting unsolicited resumes from third party recruiters at this time.
Gilbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Tracking Code: 2020-4361
Name: Gilbane Federal
External Company Name: Gilbane Building Company
External Company URL: http://www.gilbaneco.com/
Street: 304 Inverness Way South