Lockheed Martin Guidance Navigation and Control Engineer in Littleton, Colorado
Description: We are on a journey to Mars and we’re closer than ever. Lockheed Martin built NASA’s first Mars lander 40 years ago and has been a part of every NASA mission to the Red Planet since. Join a talented team of Orion engineers engaged in the design and fabrication of a human-rated spacecraft that will take humans farther than we have ever gone before. Those that join the Orion program today can be an integral part of making history by landing humans on Mars.
Designs, develops, implements, verifies and tests algorithms to perform guidance, navigation and control of a spacecraft with the end goal of docking with another spacecraft. DDT&E will span powered and coast phases of flight while in earth orbit, interplanetary cruise and orbital insertion, as well as during rendezvous, proximity operations, docking and undocking events. Navigation functions include the statistical processing of measured data points and their substitution into algorithms simulating physical reality. Guidance functions include the formulation of specific equations and control laws to achieve a desired position in space. Control design and analyses processes consist of the development of relative attitude and position control algorithms for spacecraft.
- Leads the development of GNC algorithms, autocode and tests.
- Directs junior engineers in support of the GNC docking activities.
- Coordinates with the NASA GNC partners on the co-development activities.
- Works closely with the other subsystems and the NASA crew office to ensure design meets vehicle needs and the software meets the objectives for mission success.
1. Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, or equivalent experience/combined education.
2. Experience with GN&C subsystem planning and execution for the design, development, implementation, verification and testing flight software algorithms.
3. Familiarity with GN&C Subsystem architecture, verification and testing of GN&C flight software and hardware.
4. Familiarity with relative navigation, rendezvous guidance algorithms, proximity operations and relative vehicle control for docking and undocking.
5. Experience with GN&C flight software produced through MATLAB/Simulink autocode to C++or hand-coding
6. Communication skills including the ability to speak, write and listen in a manner that clarifies issues, promotes closure, and delivers information in a clear and concise manner and facilitates decision making.
- Minimum of 8 years engineering experience in GN&C DDT&E.
- Leadership experience in GN&C Design/Development.
- Experience with Safety Critical Human Spaceflight systems.
- Familiarity with NASA customer, and Orion Mission Objectives.
- Experience with GN&C flight software produced through MATLAB/Simulink autocode to C++
- Familiarity with Fault Tolerant Design Practices
- Familiarity with Lidar and/or Optical sensors and relative navigation DDT&E
- Familiarity with Docking Mechanism capture envelopes and tolerances
- Master’s Degree in GNC related field.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.