Lockheed Martin Guidance Navigation & Control Software Engineering Manager in Littleton, Colorado
Description: Candidate selected will be the GN&C Manager for Space Protection Programs (SPP) within the MilSpace LOB managing Guidance, Navigation and Control efforts associated with all SPP/Advanced Mission Studies (AMS) programs. This position is badged to the Central GN&C Senior Manager, and deployed to the space segment Senior Manager within SPP. This Manager will serve as both the deployed-to and badged-to manager for his/her staff on the programs. Thus, the job includes both program technical management duties and functional personnel management duties.
Technically, the successful candidate will manage the development of GN&C products needed to support SPP, including algorithms, hardware selection, hardware-software integration, verification testing, and production deliverables consistent with program objectives. He/she will serve as the GN&C lead for one of SPP's larger programs, guiding a team of engineers through requirements, trade studies, subsystem design, hardware procurement, software development, integration, test, and delivery of the GNC subsystem. This involves providing budget, schedule and technical (i.e. CAM and CPE) oversight for the GN&C Subsystem. He/she will also provide direct support to other SPP projects through involvement with conceptual design study activities, staffing, proposal writing, and BOE development and/or approval. He/she will also support and present at customer meetings, develop customer relationships, and seek out and develop future business opportunities. Duties thus require support of concurrent spacecraft GN&C hardware, simulation, and flight software development efforts within the SPP GN&C group for multiple projects.
Additionally, this manager will lead in SPP GN&C MBE software architecture definition and management of its implementation across multiple AMS programs in an Agile software development environment.
Functionally, the GN&C manager will lead personnel-related activities for the assigned area, including: staffing, personnel assignments and rotations, career planning, performance appraisals, training planning, knowledge management assessments, and staff mentoring. He/she should improve the overall quality of GN&C engineering and development of personnel by definition of training needs, career counseling, management of assignments, and development of mentoring programs and career path opportunities for assigned personnel. He/she should provide a positive influence on the productivity and morale of the GN&C organization, teammates, and peers.
Desired Skills: 1. Post-graduate degree in relevant technical area.
2. Demonstrated ability to interface with diverse technical teams including flight software, simulation software, ground software, ATLO, labs, payloads, and systems for complex GN&C objectives.
3. Industry insight and involvement in technical committees, external peer review boards, professional organizations and technical/program planning committees.
4. Some familiarity with functional Engineering processes, including performance appraisals, promotion planning, employee mentoring, and hiring.
5. Certified Principal Engineer experience or training.
6. Control Account Manager experience or training.
7. Understanding of LM21 and lean/six sigma principles and methods. Participation in LM21 events.
8. Direct experience with both GNC hardware and software design, development and testing.
9. Direct experience with both orbit and attitude estimation, guidance, and control systems for space applications.
10. Recent work experience with SPP customers, programs, or technologies.
11. Broad knowledge of SSC resources, expertise, command media, and operations related to assigned area.
12. Familiarity with engineering processes and experience in applying those processes to a development program.
1. Leadership skills and behaviors that align with the Full Spectrum Leadership Imperatives. Demonstrated ability to lead a high-powered engineering team and produce results by successfully prioritizing technical, cost, and schedule objectives and balancing multiple assigned objectives and tasks. Familiar with and operates by Full Spectrum Leadership principles.
2. At least ten years of demonstrated technical expertise in GN&C, and willingness to serve in a challenging "dual-role" program and functional leadership role.
3. Strong communications skills. Ability to write technical proposal inputs, prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external customers, and develop GN&C BOE and other proposal products.
4. Familiarity with GN&C Subsystem architecture. Familiarity with verification and testing of GN&C flight software and hardware.
5. Familiarity with orbit and/or attitude estimation, guidance, and control system algorithms. Working familiarity with standard GN&C sensors and actuators.
6. Familiarity with Model Based Software Development (MBSD) to generate algorithms in graphical languages and convert to code (auto-coding), as well as algorithm implementation using conventional hand-code techniques.
7. BS in engineering or related scientific discipline with at least 12 years overall technical experience or MS in engineering with at least 10 years overall technical experience, with a minimum of 10 years in GN&C design engineering, with at least 8 years of applicable SW design, analysis, and integration experience, with broad technical skills and development experience throughout a program life cycle.
8. Familiarity with Control Account Management (CAM) processes.
9. Familiarity with Certified Principal Engineer (CPE) responsibilities.
10. Ability to assess and balance various risks across the subsystem to maintain cost within a fixed schedule environment.
11. Current SSBI clearance; capable of domestic travel
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.