3D Systems, Inc. Manufacturing Engineering Technician in Littleton, Colorado
- *The 3D Systems site in Littleton, Colorado is expanding rapidly and needs a skilled Manufacturing Engineering technician to support the existing Manufacturing Engineers under the direction of the Director of Manufacturing. A growing business unit in a young company means that the successful candidate should be experienced with creating systems, solving problems, documenting procedures, and managing small projects. Our pace of growth is only matched by the pace at which our customers expect their new and innovative products to be delivered.
As part of the Healthcare unit of 3D Systems, the Littleton facility acts as a service bureau to enable customers without the expertise, capital, or desire to additively manufacture their products. We are experts in digital workflows, patient-specific devices, and five different kinds of 3D printing. The Manufacturing department serves both the Virtual Surgical Planning as well as the Contract Manufacturing product lines with plastic and metal additive manufacturing.
- *The following performance objectives will determine job success for this position:
1. *Create and author work instructions*: Learn existing documentation structure for Direct Metal Printing (DMP). Create work instructions and SOP for all new medical device and Advanced Manufacturing customer product lines under the direction of Development Manufacturing Engineers. Interview stakeholders in production, quality, and engineering to evaluate pros and cons of current system. Develop templates for visual work instructions, customer SOPs, and maintenance procedures.
2. *Upgrade and maintain documentation for existing products*: Within the first 12 months, convert all existing DMP work instructions to visual format. Create Technical Process Specifications for all routine outside supplier processes like HIP, chemical analysis, and tensile testing. Develop a template, then revise and create material specifications as needed by manufacturing, engineering, and supply chain. Implement all changes via the released change order system.
3. *Gather and enter data for scrap, deviations, CAPAs, and NMRs*: As issues arise and manufacturing engineers are assigned investigations, support with information gathering, data entry, and data analysis. Administer scrap recording in preparation for Material Review Board (MRB) each week.
4. *Scrap reduction:*Under the direction of Manufacturing Engineers and management,lead efforts with Production to reduce scrap in metal additive manufacturing. Design fixtures, modify procedures, discuss options with customers, and coordinate similar changes across product lines to leverage technical work.
5. *Support manufacturing engineers with projects*: Attend the Engineering projects meeting each week, network with Manufacturing Engineers, and stay up to date on urgent project needs within the group. Under the direction of Manufacturing Engineers, conduct defined experiments, prepare builds, test parts, set up equipment, revise documentation, and train others with improvements and corrections.
6. *Lead smaller projects*: Take full ownership of some smaller projects, like specifying and procuring small capital equipment, designing and fabricating fixtures, qualifying new work methods. Gather design inputs, propose alternatives, review technical solutions, and implement final design with equipment, validation, work instructions, and training.
7. *Set up new machines and execute validations*: When new equipment is purchased, ensure installation is performed according to manufacturer instructions and perform ranging studies in preparation for operational parameter definition. Establish auxiliary fixtures, processes, equipment, and procedures to support new equipment. Using protocols written by Manufacturing and Quality Engineers, operate equipment and record results of equipment operation and test sample results. Enter data and summarize data for engineers to use in reports.
Because we are primarily focused on medical devices, we prefer the manufacturing engineering technician to have a background the medical device industry and knowledge of ISO13485. The successful candidate will have a track record of technical accomplishments in a manufacturing or technical environment that show they are able to solve technical problems. As a participant in the newly created Advanced Manufacturing group, and with the need to review technical information from aerospace and defense customers, US citizenship is required.
Title: Manufacturing Engineering Technician
Requisition ID: 180000W4