Lockheed Martin Senior Data Engineer in Littleton, Colorado
Description: Senior Data Engineer needed to help build out and tune data processing pipelines and scenarios for integration and interactive analysis of large data sets in distributed systems. The ideal candidate will be equal parts technologist and evangelist – capable of both communicating the value proposition of big data processing, as well as possessing the experience necessary to build out the solutions that make the art of the possible a reality. In this role, you’ll be involved throughout the lifecycle of a big data/analytics project, to include engaging with end users to understand the desired goals and outcomes of the solution, helping to determine the optimal technical approach from data sourcing to end user consumption, and helping to educate internal and external stakeholders on how to access the data and incorporate it into their business rhythms. You can expect to support the company in the construction of technical prototypes, demos, and internal analytics community education, as well as supporting a variety of business areas and functions to help advance their big data initiatives. The position requires a self-motivated individual with a hands-on entrepreneurial spirit and exceptional drive, with the ability to work in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary environment. Limited travel (25% or less) is required for this role. Work schedule is flexible (e.g. 5x8, 9x80, 4x10), and will be largely at the discretion of the selected candidate. Work location will be Lockheed Martin’s Waterton Campus (Littleton, Colorado).
• Demonstrated experience in the development, installation, configuration and tuning of big data processing pipelines for the transfer of data from various sources into Hadoop using open or commercial ETL Tools.
• Experience applying processing logic in Hadoop and/or Spark (i.e. MapReduce and abstracted alternatives)
• Advanced experience working with relational and non-relational databases
• Ability to design and develop machine-to-machine interfaces using RESTful web services
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work productively as a member of a team, as well as individually
• Experience with exposing data to external consumers using various open source SQL-like tools (i.e. Hive and Impala).
• Experience with various methods for job orchestration (such as oozie) and monitoring in a big data environment
• Experience with Cloudera’s distribution
• Experience with open source message brokers (Kafka, etc) for real-time data feeds.
• Experience with open source search platforms (Solr, Elastic Search, etc) for real-time indexing and searching capabilities.
• Experience with applying and maintaining access permissions and privileges.
• Experience with developing, managing, and testing back-up and recovery plans.
• Experience in designing and implementing optimal data storage options
• Familiarity with HBase
• Basic Linux system administration knowledge
• Experience with open source non-relational distributed databases (HBase, MongoDB, Neo4j and Cassandra) for storage and retrieval.
• Experience with architecting solutions using AWS service offerings, including S3 and EMR
• Experience with cloud native approaches to leveraging Big Data through object based storage.
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
• Intellectual curiosity; creativity and innovation to go beyond current tools to deliver the best solution to complex problems.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.